April D. Young, soprano, is on the voice faculties of Holy Names Music Center in Spokane, WA and The Oaks Conservatory of the Performing Arts in Spokane Valley, WA. In both locations she teaches classical and CCM techniques and literature and also works with young voices.
Ms. Young maintains a private studio. She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Music with a Voice Performance emphasis from Westmont College in Santa Barbara and a Master of Voice Pedagogy degree from Westminster Choir College in Princeton.
Ms. Young is a group voice clinician for area high school choirs. Ms. Young studied voice with the late Sister Marietta Coyle. She directed K-7 and adult choirs. Ms. Young served as a cantor in several parishes around the Spokane diocese for twenty-three years. Her solo performing credits include recital, musical theater and cantata. Ms. Young’s studio credits include the vocals for a computer game in the Myst series.
adVentures in Voice
Singing foundations for young students
Girls and boys age 8 to 13
- Coordinating and developing muscles used in vocalizing
- Breathing effectively and aligning the body for good posture
- Building skills in musicianship and reading music
- Communicating with expression and articulation
- Using the growing vocal instrument in a healthy way
- Sharing hard work in performance (regular recitals are a Holy Names Music Center benefit!)
- Preparing for auditions: local theater groups and choral programs, and solo festivals (optional)
- Boosting confidence!
- Singing is fun!
Prerequisite: Student can read lyrics (helpful)